Sunday, December 8, 2013

Is it bad for the amp if I plug my bass into a normal guitar amp for practicing?

best headphone bass amp
 on FIIO E3 Headphone Amplifier Bass Boost for iPod: Amazon.co.uk ...
best headphone bass amp image



JAB


I keep my bass amp in our practice studio. I live in an apartment and playing music is a huge part of my income. The apartment walls are paper thin and I don't want to bug my neighbors, not to mention lugging that bass amp back and forth is a pain. I have a couple guitar amps laying around and I would like to use them to practice, since they aren't so rumbly and a loud. Is it bad for the guitar amp?


Answer
You should be okay if you are playing at lower volumes but if you push it you could do possible damage to the speakers. I am in a similar situation and I use the Vox AmPlug Bass Guitar Headphone Amp, I like the sound and I can plug my mp3 player into it to work on songs, like new songs we are in the process of writing, etc.... And I like the small size, it fits in my bass case and I am able to practice in my motel rooms as well without hauling an extra amp.

Can I plug a Bass guitar into a guitar amp without harming the instrument or amp?




Alaro


I have a bass but no bass amp, But I was wondering if I could plug it into a guitar amp instead. My friend (non-experienced) said it would harm the amp and the bass if I had them plugged into one another. Is this true or am I in the clear to do that?


Answer
Most everyone has given you the right answer so far: Yes, it's possible, but do so only at low volumes.

The only thing I wanted to add is why it could hurt the speaker but not the bass. The bass is sending a signal to the amp. The bass doesn't receive a signal and therefore couldn't really be damaged. The amp receives a signal and puts it out over the speakers. If this signal is too much for the speakers to handle, they could be blown. So technically the only thing at risk is the actual speakers.

One tip is to buy a DI or some sort of preamp that has a headphone jack.

Stephen
http://guitarmann.com




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment