Monday, January 20, 2014

What are the best headphones out there?

best headphone amp for hd800
 on Sennheiser HD800 & HDVD800 Package Deal available at Hifi Gear ...
best headphone amp for hd800 image






& how much?


Answer
Best as in THE BEST, period..

Well, it's so subjective it's hard to say, but....

Arguably the Stax SR-009. Retail around $5k, throw in another $2k-3k for the amp you'll need to power the thing too.

So if you're not such a microdetail fiend and bass appeals to you, the Audeze LCD-3 are another contender. These are planars that NEED a serious amp. So $2k for the headphones and another $1.5k or so for an amp to power them.

From there on down it's gets crowded. There are headphones like the Sennheiser HD800, Grado PS-1000, Ultrasone Edition 10, Denon AH-D7000, Fostex TH-900, Beyerdynamic T5p and Beyerdynamic T1 which are just some of the top of the line dynamic drivers. There's also other planars like the Audeze LCD-2 and Hifiman HE-6. All are $1k+.

Then there are those out of production headphones that have "legendary" status. Like the Sennheiser Orpheus, the AKG K1000, the Sony MDR-R10, and also the various Grado signature models.

Determining the "best" out of all this is going to depend on your taste in music, what other equipment you've got, how you intend on using them, etc. There's also no point getting "the best" headphones when the rest of your system isn't at that level too. If you ran any of the above headphones off an ipod or laptop, you are selling them way short. They need high quality sources, a high quality amp, etc or you are not using them to their full potential. So $1k headphones are going to need at least that spend again on the rest of the system before they are really being used properly.

But if I was to say what is the one currently available headphone that is most widely considered the "best" by serious audiophiles, it'd be the Stax SR-009. But that could have a lot do do with the fact that it is also the most expensive (that I know of).

Best headphones for under $300?




Evan Lawle


I find it difficult because I quite literally listen to nearly all styles of music; and as many headphones tend to favor certain genres over another and I don't have access to a store with a wide selection of headphones I wanted to see what others would say. I love high quality but won't spend a ridiculous amount of money as I primarily use my iPod with a headphone amp. Please only comment if you know what you're talking about, haha thanks!

Currently own AIAIAI TMA-1 headphones, a few others I'm considering:

Skullcandy Mixmasters

Sennheiser HD 598 and HD 280

Bose QuietComfort 15

Beats Studios

Bowers & Wilkins P5

Lower-end Grado Headphones

Thanks!



Answer
I currently own the Grado SR80, the Sennheiser HD25-1 II, the Bowers and Wilkins P5, and the Shure SE530. I also have the Grado iGi, and the MEElectronics A151, but they're cheaper headphones that I just use for working out.

If I were you I would immediately cross the Beats, Bose, and Skullcandy off the list. Of the ones that remain, the first thing you need to do is decide whether you need an open- or closed-back headphone. Most of my listening is done on the road, in noisy trains, and in noisy school libraries, so I tend to lean toward closed-back headphones or IEMs. Although I would love to get the Sennheiser HD800 at some point....

If you want open headphones, the Grados are lovely. I haven't spent much time with the Sennheiser 598s, but I used to have 580s and absolutely loved them. I think I'd have to spend a bit of time comparing and weighing up the differences in comfort, price, and yeah, even styling. The 598s look a bit gaudy to me...

If you want to go closed, no competition - I'm totally in love with the Bowers and Wilkins P5. The Sennheiser HD25-1 II were my commuting companion for over a year, and they treated me great, but sometimes I got the feeling they were starting to shout at me just a little bit. The Bowers and Wilkins, while still just as detailed, are a much smoother sounding headphone. I can easily listen to them all day with no fatigue at all. They sound great straight out of an iPod Classic, even better with an FIIO line-out-dock feeding a Headroom amp. They're supremely comfortable, very well made, and absolutely beautiful.... If I were you I'd try the HD25s though - for $200 they're great headphones.

Hope some of this helped!! Whatever you end up getting, enjoy 'em...




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment