Saturday, December 28, 2013

Why does music sound higher pitched when louder?

best headphone music
 on music-headphones
best headphone music image






I've noticed that when wearing both headphones, music sounds almost a semitone higher than it does if I wear just one? Does anyone know why this happens? I assume it is something to do with the volume as I have noticed an even more drastic discrepancy in perceived pitch inside and outside of a club.


Answer
Human ears are sensitive to a certain bandwidth of frequencies. Picture a bell shaped curve with mid-range freqs being at the top of the curve. The extreme lows and extreme highs are harder for us to hear. By increasing the volume, the extreme highs (and lows) are easier to pick up. Extreme highs have a harder time penetrating walls or other obstructions. Lows, on the other hand go through walls and floors much easier.

What headphones should I get and questions on my mp3 player?




vhjbknlsda


I don't really know much about sound quality, headphones, music players..

First question: Okay so I have a Sony 4GB Walkman MP3 Player. Does this mp3 player have bad sound quality or are all music devices the same? I know it depends on the quality of the song too. Also are all headphones compatible with my mp3 player? I know there are some headphones that are made for apple products but does that mean i cant use them on this?

Second question: What over the head headphones should I get that would work with this? I was looking at the Blueant Embrace Stereo Headphones but I don't know much about headphones. I just want something that could block as much sound as possible, sound good, and look okay. Oh and not too expensive so maybe up to like $200. Any ideas?



Answer
I know some of the Walkman model had sound issues (but I don't remember which series) but I think it was only one or two. Most of the Sony Walkmans are o.k, but I haven't tried them myslef lately.
I think all headophones with the proper jack (3.5mm) will work - I think the problem is relevant to smartphones (and not music players).

If you want something that blocks sounds from the outside you need to think if you want to get an active noise cancelling pair - or a passive one:
A passive one means it cover your ears well so it creates a "mini sound room" in each ear (the isolation is far from being good, but will do for most bus rides). An active ones is a pair that creates white noise to shield outside noise- they work with AA or AAA batteries and cost more.

Good passive ones:
Sennheiser HD 202, HD 203, HD280, and more
Audio-Technica ATHM50S, ATHM50, ATH-M30, ATH-M35, ATHM40FS

Good active ones :
Audio Technica ATH-ANC7B,
Audio Technica ATH-ANC1 QuietPoint
Audio Technica ATH-ANC27
Sennheiser PXC 250 II
Sennheiser PXC 250




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment