Tuesday, December 24, 2013

What are the best headphones for under $100?

best headphone dac under 100
 on ALO Audios The International headphone amp/USB DAC in review ALO ...
best headphone dac under 100 image



Macro


Taking only sound quality and build quality into consideration. Cosmetics, portability, etc are not an issue for me. I just want amazing sound quality that will last me at least 3 or 4 years.

Ideally under $100, but I would consider something up to $150 if it's leaps and bounds better than anything I can get for under $100.
Also wanted to add they are purely for music listening. Nothing else. I want flat response and a wide frequency range.
Oh that's another thing, no headphone amp. I will be plugging them straight into my laptop or ipod.



Answer
I would suggest the Audio Technica M50's and the Creative Aurvana Live's.

I don't own either, but I own the Denon d1001's which are supposed to sound very similar to the CAL's (they're from the same maker). I find them to be nicely balanced, so you'll probably like them. A lot of people seem to prefer the M50's, which are also described as a good all-around pair, but stronger than the CAL's when it comes to bass. I don't think you can lose with either choice. And you won't need an amp with either pair.

A wide frequency range doesn't matter unless you're listening to analog recordings. Also, the equipment itself has to be capable of producing those ranges.

As for flatness of response, I don't know how to interpret response graphs, I get the feeling it requires somewhat of a trained eye. A perfectly flat response wouldn't sound flat to the human ear (e.g. white noise), because of how our brains work. So a pair of headphones with what looks like a flatter response (to the untrained eye) might actually sound less flat. Also, freq. response isn't always important because when headphones are used with an amp or a dac, the amp/dac has a sound signature of its own, so people can often match their headphones with a contrasting amp to balance them out. For these reasons, I haven't paid much attention to graphs as of yet. Usually I can get an idea of a headphone's style of sound from hearing what people say.

For more info (and any audio question in the future) you can check out the head-fi.org forum. I'm pretty new to audiophilia, those people know a lot more.

What headphones should I get under $100?




James


I REALLY love sound. That being said, I was thinking about getting high quality headphones. I also plan on buying some games online, sooo hopefully the headphones you suggest won't go over $85-90 or so. So I heard about companies like V-MODA, Sennheiser, Etymotic, Shure, etc. Is Etymotic good? I've heard claims about crystal clear audio from $20 headphones, but let's be serious, it's not the crystal clear you would hear as if you were there yourself listening to the music. I want like HD Sound. I really care about the highs in music, and I hope that I can get some durable, quality headphones. I would also like some punchy bass.
I prefer earbuds, because of the portability, however sometimes they give you headaches.
Or I could get headphones.

Please don't suggest BOSE, Beats, Skullcandy, or anything too overpriced for what it's worth.



Answer
I am thinking that earbuds are the best bang for the buck, I am not sure but maybe. I recommend B&W C5 earbuds, RHM ma 350 earbuds to be the only two you consider. When you look them up you will know why. As far as headphones, Shure, Sennheiser all the one's you listed should be your A team but its hard to settle on one because of so many variables. You will have to listen and read from trusted sources to make a good choice. What I have done, is homed in on two earbuds and two headphones and then I am done with it. I have an old Bose Triport headphone that has seen its better days, so I am looking at Grado alongside the Bose. The Reid and Heath Audio solution is a good one for a second pair of earbuds. Then I have a range of sound that I can listen to based on my location and my mood, to me that is the best of both worlds. I would be remissed to not mention my choice of head gear is directly connected to High Resolution Technologies (HRT) Digital Audio Converter (DAC) or Audioengine D1 (DAC) to do the lifting for whatever set I choose. They do a marvelous job, don't knock any of them until you try them.

My suggestions with these brands are for three reasons. They honor their warranty of 2-3 years without hassel, which is good for earbuds. The headphones, in this case Grado can figure it out and I believe they have the company culture and pride to seek remedy and solution if their product doesn't live up to billing because they have a highly respected brand in doing so. Bottomline they hold up, you can purchase them and move on to the next. Start with Reid and Heath Audio then B&W take your time it will be hard to get a better situation out here.

Best.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment