Monday, February 17, 2014

Question about headphones?

Q. I'm going to put this out there and probably offend a few audiophiles while doing it.... I own an iPod. I'm going to further offend them by saying that when I rip my CDs to iTunes, I do not usually rip it to it's full potential, by this I mean I do not usually use lossless encoding, but rather around the 300kbps area. In the 250-350 kbps area, do better headphones improve sound quality (or at least not take away from it) or will I not notice a difference. If you do think I should get better headphones, could you recommend a brand or model, I know Sennheiser has a good reputation, and people say good things about their headphones.


Answer
Audio Technica ATH-M50 are the best headphones you can buy that wont leave you homeless. but you'll need a portable headphone amp, otherwise it's like driving a car with a lawnmower engine. i recommend a Fiio E6, very small yet effective. keep it on the "blue" setting though, the red setting makes the bass muddy and the purple setting is for high wattage stuff and will just kill your volume if you use it with an ipod.

Questions about the Audio-Technica ATH-M50 headphones?




Helping ev


Just a few questions.

1. How good is the quality for its price? I have watched a few reviews and they say this is one of the best headphones that's on the market. How accurate is that statement? I'm not very knowledgeable about audio. I'm at an intermediate level, but I know all the fundamentals. So anything you could tell me on what makes these such good headphones would be great.

2. How loud is the sound to those who don't have the headphones on? Let's say, if I were to record some vocals, and I have a beat/instrumental playing over while I record. Will the mic pick it up? I use a studio mic, which was around $395 AUD if I remember correctly, but the setup is not very "studio" like. Please be very specific because this part is crucial.

3. How long is the cable?

4. What's the purpose for that 'telephone cord'-like part of the cable?

5. Strength and durability?

6. Is it necessary to have a good sound card? I use a pre-amp...

Thank you



Answer
Be smart. Check out Grado Labs headphones. Made in America and ranging in price from $50-$1600. Do a thorough research. Go to the audiophile forums. The buzz about Grado cans is alive and well.They make by far the best headphones in the world.

I have Grado SR225i model and I paid $269 for them 4 years ago. Now, you can find them for $200 in the states. No doubt in my mind that these are the best I've ever heard and I've heard many. Nobody comes even close to the sound of Grado headphones. Buy them once and love them forever.

They need some power to get the most out of them. A decent DAC converter on a sound card or built-in in a headphone amplifier and file quality matter as well, but they are totally worth it. About 100 hours of burn-in time is essential when they are new because they need some time to settle down with high frequencies.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment