Sunday, June 8, 2014

Wearing headphones on a motorcycle for navigation?




Yes.


I've been contemplating going on a 530 mile trip(there and back) to Chicago on my 2003 750cc Honda Shadow.

I've always lived in a small town, far away from any cities. I've never drove any vehicle in a big city like Chicago. There's no way I can navigate my way around Chicago without GPS. However, I have a top of the line cell phone with navigation. I COULD wear headphones underneath my helmet to make my way. Is this a good idea?
The only GPS I COULD look at, is my cellphone. I'm not going to whip it out constantly. on that long of a trip, I'm going to be making lots of turns, in which pulling over to look at my phone could be very inconvenient.
Plus, do you really use your sense of sound much riding? The only thing I can hear while riding is my bike, sirens, and horns. All which are much too loud to muffle, nor would it. I would just have a voice telling me to take a turn every once in awhile. Riding awareness is all visual anyways.



Answer
They have helmet headsets, actually sort of flat speakers you install in your helmet. The problem (for me) is they have to be really loud to overcome the roar of the wind (but some helmets are quieter than others). I use foam earplugs on my bike because the roar actually gets painful for me sometimes, and speakers loud enough to hear well would be even more painful. I'm getting older and sometimes I think I'm beginning to lose my hearing. I wonder how much of that is because of years of wind noise on the bike.

Also in California, on a bike or car, you need to keep one ear clear. You can't listen to headphones or earbuds on both ears. Of course in a helmet they can't tell.

I use my cellphone as a GPS on my bike, though. I mount it on the handlebars with a RAM mount. I don't listen to it, I look at it. It's kind of small, but it's not that hard to use just by looking.

It's also a good idea to get a power supply of some kind, either a 'cigarette lighter' or a USB port, up near the handlebars, to power the phone while you're driving. On my phone, with the GPS chip enabled, I get maybe 4 or 5 hours, not enough for a long trip. I can pull it out and mount it quickly if I'm looking for an address in a city, that only takes 20 min. or so. But to use it continuously on a long trip would require a power supply.

I do 500 mile trips all the time, to go camping in the mountains or along the coast. 250-300 miles is just a nice day's ride, then next day I come back by a different route. It's one of my favorite things to do with a weekend, just me and the bike.

Wearing 1 headphone for GPS on a motorcycle?




sean l


well im moving to California and im getting my fz6 shipped out there. san diego to be exact. im from northern Virginia, i go into dc every now an then, im used to traffic. i know im going to get lost in CA if i dont come up with a plan.

would it be a good idea to put my phone (galaxy s4) in my pocket, and wear one earbud to listen to the gps? will i be able to hear it? i feel like its safe because its not always talking, and ill be able to keep my eyes on the road. ive got some nice bose headphones too, where it wont fall out. also i could put the phone in blocking mode that way no calls or texts come through and interrupt the navigation.



Answer
It's not illegal in California to have a headphone in one ear. So you could do that.

I find I can't hear my headphones on the bike with the roar of wind in my helmet. I use my cellphone as a GPS with a RAM Mount on my handlebars. I look at it rather than listen to it. I do have some trouble with vibration confusing the screen, so I have to set it as close to vertical as possible. But it works fine.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment