Saturday, February 15, 2014

Is it possible to bust your amp by adding pedal to the Gain/Drive channel?




Pfil


I'm just wondering if that could happen because I have a VOX ToneLab LE and I used it on the Gain/Drive channel on my Fender Frontman 25R Amp. For example, I have a lead solo setting on the ToneLab I made and I add more gain by using the channel on the amp. Can that damage the amp? Another example is I'll use a clean tone on the ToneLab and add a little gain by using the channel on the amp. It sounds similar to the sound of "Icky Thump" by the White Stripes. But if I turn up volume barely on the Gain/Drive channel, it gives a huge hissing noise and annoying feedback. Anyhow, just leave some answers if it's ok or not ok to do that to my amp. Thanks!!


Answer
It will not damage your amp to use a distortion pedal in your drive channel.
what you need to do is adjust your pedal
read this page:
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/440615-vox-tonelab-le-straight-into-amp.html

It seems that there is an "amp sim" and "cab sim" setting you need to turn off to use it as a stompbox.

I think that the Tonelab is basically meant for direct to mixing board or recording input without going through an amp. But if you set it correctly by turning off the "sim" setting then you can use the effects without overdriving the system.
You won't break the amp, but as you saw, you get tons of hiss and feedback because of so much gain coming out of the box.
(it's kinda like taking your amp turning it all the way up and then taking the headphone out and plugging it into another amp, you've got an already amplified signal coming out of the box.)

Recording guitar amp onto PC?




somone


Ive heard mixed opinions on this, some say if I simply plug my amp's output into my sound cards mic in then I will end up blowing my sound card, and also possibly my amp/computer itself?

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/low-end-theory/356897-plugging-guitar-amp-into-computer.html says I can't? other questions on Y!A say its fine?

So, is it safe to plug my amp into my sound card's mic in or do I need special equipment to record. Its a 15w Marshall MG-FX by the way, sound card is a Creative x-fi? The amp's output is headphone output which im guessing wouldn't exactly be overkill to a sound card?

Thanks



Answer
No, your amp will NOT overload your audio card, even if you DONT use the headphone output. Your mic input doesn't receive power like that and neither does your audio card. They only receive the audio signals being put through.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment