Saturday, March 15, 2014

Should I Go Vinyl or Stay In My Little Digital World?




Jacob


My Generation is the Digital Generation. But, My Favorite Band is The Beatles. I Was Thinking About Buying The New Box Set Of All Their Albums In Vinyl. So I Guess Technically I Could Listen To It The Way It Was Ment to be heard. I Don't Mind Buying A Turn Table just to listen to it. But I Never heard a Actual Vinyl In Real Life. (Been Watching Some Videos About IT Though) Some People say Vinyl is better than CD. Is that true? should i switch to Vinyl?


Answer
I have a nice turntable and collection of mint and very good LPs. Also I have a PC with audiophile sound card (ASUS Xonar Essence STX) with 192 kHz sample rating.

So, I digitized some of my LPs at 192 kHz @ 24 bit to lossless FLAC files.

I have very good class A headphone amplifier and one of the best open range headphones (AKG K701).

So, I put my headphones on and asked my daughter to switch from actual LPs to digital FLAC files without my knowledge (blind test). I could NOT tell the difference.

However, when I took control of the switch by myself I could hear the difference. It seemed to me the sound of LP was more wide and clear.

So, I figured out that blind test is more objective and there is NO difference in clarity or any other aspects of the music.

It comes down only to a perception. Some people believe that LP sounds better and nothing can change it.

do you think dr dre beats headphones would be good playing online games like black opps?




Nikita


im thinking of buy dr dre head phones i watched some reveiws on 2 of their products the solo hd and the studio headphones and what most of them said to go for is the studio ones but i wanted to know if they would be good for playing games like black opps, where it would be best if you could hear everything around you, basically like sorround headphones but with ones that i can also use listening to music on my ipod. has anybody got any got advice on which one would be good?


Answer
Talking about beats, that are mediocre headphones already, I have to say they won't do their job well at gaming.

Aside all their sound quality aspects, they have a very narrow, close soundstage. This means you won't have an edge at hearing the environment, particularly you will have difficulties differing the location of a fired shot - was it from the front left or rear left? for example.

My point is - look else where. I just don't know your budget.

The Audio Technica ATH-A700 sounds great and I really like that glossy black on it f.e.

BTW, for gaming, you will benefit from a nice soundcard too. Nothing overcomes the ASUS Xonar Essence




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment