Tuesday, March 11, 2014

How important are Hz and Khz for headphone sound quality?




GeorgiaTec


What should I be looking for to tell how good the sound quality is on a pair of headphones? Thanks


Answer
Specifications won't tell you much. The range of human hearing is generally accepted to be 20Hz to 20Khz, so your first job is to filter out any headphones that can only handle 5Khz - 10Khz or something daft like that. The only other specs worth looking at are the impedance (how easy the 'phones are to drive) and sensitivity or efficiency (how loud they go for a given signal level). If you're using an mp3 player without a separate amp, look for impedance lower than 100Ohms. For sensitivity/efficiency, higher means louder. 95ish and above would be fine.

That's the numbers taken care of. Now the important stuff - judge the headphones by listening to them, not by the numbers. Wouldn't want you rejecting the Sennheiser HD800 because their impedance is too high....

Best headphones for under $300?




Evan Lawle


I find it difficult because I quite literally listen to nearly all styles of music; and as many headphones tend to favor certain genres over another and I don't have access to a store with a wide selection of headphones I wanted to see what others would say. I love high quality but won't spend a ridiculous amount of money as I primarily use my iPod with a headphone amp. Please only comment if you know what you're talking about, haha thanks!

Currently own AIAIAI TMA-1 headphones, a few others I'm considering:

Skullcandy Mixmasters

Sennheiser HD 598 and HD 280

Bose QuietComfort 15

Beats Studios

Bowers & Wilkins P5

Lower-end Grado Headphones

Thanks!



Answer
I currently own the Grado SR80, the Sennheiser HD25-1 II, the Bowers and Wilkins P5, and the Shure SE530. I also have the Grado iGi, and the MEElectronics A151, but they're cheaper headphones that I just use for working out.

If I were you I would immediately cross the Beats, Bose, and Skullcandy off the list. Of the ones that remain, the first thing you need to do is decide whether you need an open- or closed-back headphone. Most of my listening is done on the road, in noisy trains, and in noisy school libraries, so I tend to lean toward closed-back headphones or IEMs. Although I would love to get the Sennheiser HD800 at some point....

If you want open headphones, the Grados are lovely. I haven't spent much time with the Sennheiser 598s, but I used to have 580s and absolutely loved them. I think I'd have to spend a bit of time comparing and weighing up the differences in comfort, price, and yeah, even styling. The 598s look a bit gaudy to me...

If you want to go closed, no competition - I'm totally in love with the Bowers and Wilkins P5. The Sennheiser HD25-1 II were my commuting companion for over a year, and they treated me great, but sometimes I got the feeling they were starting to shout at me just a little bit. The Bowers and Wilkins, while still just as detailed, are a much smoother sounding headphone. I can easily listen to them all day with no fatigue at all. They sound great straight out of an iPod Classic, even better with an FIIO line-out-dock feeding a Headroom amp. They're supremely comfortable, very well made, and absolutely beautiful.... If I were you I'd try the HD25s though - for $200 they're great headphones.

Hope some of this helped!! Whatever you end up getting, enjoy 'em...




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment