Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Would this headphone guitar amp / laptop DAC combo work?

Q. I'm a college student living in a dorm with a roommate, so I try to keep everything audio related going through my headphones, as not to disturb my roommate or neighbors. Right now, I'm trying to make this setup, and want to know if the equipment will be adequate for my needs:

I want to get a DAC / headphone amp combo that I can use both to increase the audio output on my laptop, and to amplify my electric guitar for when I'm practicing in my dorm room. The unit I'm looking at is the FiiO E7, which seems like an excellent DAC for a pretty low price. I know that it will more than suffice for playing music through my headphones with my laptop as a source, but want to make sure it will adequately recognize and amplify my electric guitar, if plugged in to the analog audio-in jack.

I'm buying all the appropriate adapters (1/4inch to 3.5mm for plugging the guitar into the headphone amp), but just wanted to make sure that I don't need some other sort of preamp or anything to get decent audio through the headphones for BOTH the guitar and my laptop (individually, not at the same time).

Any insight at all will be immensely appreciated.


Answer
The audio output level of a guitar is in-between that of mic and line level, so you will have to crank the FiiO E7 higher when using the guitar (vs. a line-level analog source such as an MP3 player, or the DAC source from your laptop) but it should still work.

If you can't crank the FiiO up high enough, Korg/Vox makes a $40 "amPlug" device designed exactly to do what you want -- to adapt your guitar for headphones (see below).

how to amplify home theater headphones?

Q. I just bought a Sony "MDR-DS7500" Home Theater Headphone system that I would like to amplify for the sound that it produces right now out of the box turned all the way up on the knob has poor low volume and I would like to change that. If any knows how to go about this and any way I am all ear and would very much appreciate it. Thank You!


Answer
Headphones can be amplified by headphone amps. Fiio is extremely popular for their affordable models, but don't get me wrong, they have some good quality models as well, check out the e9 for example. Turtle Beach has a good DAC called Earforce DSS, it amplifies audio and has bass boost as well as Dolby Digital processing.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment