Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Headphones and turntable?




Anna


So recently a family member gave me several vinyl after finding out I really liked some of the artists they had. I want to listen to them so they don't just sit on my shelf all day, but I'm no expert on this. I have a very limited budget, which I know means I can't expect a whole lot as far as quality. What I do want to know is, can you somehow listen to records with headphones? What speakers I could find are really expensive, plus the only time I would actually listen to these records with speakers would be when I'm home alone because I'm just really weird about stuff like that.

I have looked at some record players with built in headphone jacks, but they were either Crosley's which I have read that people strongly advise against them, or bad reviews warded me off. I've also read about getting a headphone amp and then using it? But I have no idea how that would work.

So, could any of you give me advice and links to record players, possibly with built in preamps, and headphone amps? And possibly any other things I might need, or directions? I think possibly the highest I could go is $150, maybe $200. And that's a strong maybe, but I am not an audiophile, so all I want is something that can play these records without hurting them too much, and be able to listen with headphones.
Also I'm basically a newborn child when it comes to the knowledge of any of this so if you feel the need for excessive detail THEN PLEASE DO IT DUMB IT DOWN AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE



Answer
In your budget range, you could purchase a used entry level component system from the 1970s or 1980's in good working condition. These would be worlds, no, light years better than what is sold today.

Try Craigslist. You will likely find a reseller who has several items listed and can assemble a basic system of a receiver, turntable and good working speakers for a fair price. The market is slow in the summer, so the deals are better now. Headphone jacks were the norm for equipment back then. By taking this route, you'll have someone who knows this equipment well enough to assemble a basic system of decent build and good performance well beyond what you are going to find today.

Actually some of the "compact" stereo systems back then were respectable. Sony, Magnavox and Zenith in particular had some very good sounding units. By now they need TLC, but buy one that has been serviced and it will serve you well.

best Skullcandy headphones?







I own some big bulky ones but they aren't very practical unless im listening to vinyls. I want some ear buds so I can take my ipod on the go but there are sooo many options. Help a nigga out!


Answer
The buds max is talking about are definitely good headphones but if you are a big music listener than I would recommend spending a bit more on some phones that are a bit more durable. These are what I use because they have amazing sound quality and are made of metal so you know they are tough.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment