Monday, May 19, 2014

Jazz music is dying out?




Nathan Gra


I'm a 15 year old, thinking about my future. Honestly, my passion is jazz. I play saxophone, and I love jazz. Problem is, jazz is dying out. It is a laughing matter now. If you go to school and say you listen to jazz, you get laughed at and get picked on for not listening this crap hoard of sounds, supposedly known as "music" (somehow?) made by Nicki Minaj and Lil wayne... I can't stand it. When someone gives me their headphones, and says "listen to this song!" and i hear it is lil wayne er whatever, I can't hear any music whatsoever. I couldn't like it even if I tried my hardest. I honestly think people only listen it to be "cool."
I was thinking about my future. I really wanna be a musician, as a saxophonist. But I can't when my favorite genre is dying out. I kind of want to somehow, resurrect jazz. Any form of networking makes it seem like it is the most boring thing in the world. Like seeing it in a commercial, it looks like a low quality, boring, local commercial. I want to advertise jazz as something really interesting. I've gotten a fairly good understanding of what people are attracted to. I want to make it seem like YOU are the "cool" one if you have any thing to do with jazz. I want to make band the type of thing every one wants to be in, like the 60s. I don't want it to die.
However, jazz dying out, I have no idea how I could advertise it with no money. I want music to be a career, but I can't really when it's kind of.. dead.
kjsdfkjghlkjfsg what do I do >.>
What is your opinion on the music industry?



Answer
First, thank you for your devotion to jazz. That's the first thing that will help keep jazz alive. There are a lot of young people here in Seattle who are very active in nationally recognized school jazz bands. Many of them go on to successful music careers. You are not alone, and I am grateful to you all for your contributions. There are a lot of institutions working to keep jazz education going and this gives me hope.

The second thing that will keep jazz alive is an audience. I really don't know whether it's growing or not. Your question has started me on some research. So far, I see unclear results with no firm conclusion. The fact that there is information available on jazz audience demographics at least demonstrates that there are people and institutions working to understand what's really going on. That also gives me hope for jazz.

What I can say, from my own experience, is that there are a lot of people, young and old, who are deeply interested in jazz here in Seattle. Jazz lovers are a small but devoted bunch. I can go out to a club or concert hall any day of any week here (well, not Christmas Day) and hear live jazz by local musicians- and I'm not alone in the audience. I can also say that there are lots of people may not count jazz as their favorite type of music, but who find some kind of jazz that they enjoy at least part of the time they listen. So this gives me hope.

The music industry as a whole is, has been, and probably always will be a tough business focused on the latest thing and a fast buck. Jazz musicians - musicians in general - have always had a challenging time. I know that there are people here in Seattle who, through a combination of teaching, gigging, recording, arranging, whatever, are raising families on jazz. Maybe not getting rich like Kenny G, but getting along and doing it while doing something they love.

Also, since it's alive, it keeps changing. It's mixing and merging with new classical music, world musics, rock, even hip-hop and rap. Jazz is not going to die out, but it will change. And that's as it should be.

There are young people out there who share your interest in jazz. I wish I knew how to help you get in touch with them, but I don't. Garfield High School and Roosevelt High School here in Seattle have excellent jazz band programs. There are high school jazz band competitions all over the US - maybe there's one near you. Cornish College and University of Washington in Seattle have strong jazz programs. Check out "Racer Sessions" on Facebook to see what a lot of young folks here are doing. YouTube has some videos recorded at The Royal Room here, jazz and otherwise.

I hope this helps. Good luck and best wishes.

Headphone suggestions?




Mark


I'm looking for a new pair of headphones.

Criteria:

Under $150
Over/on ear
Focuses on Rock/Hip-Hop/Pop, but works well with Jazz and Classical
Clear sound
Loud bass, but not overpowering
Passive noise cancelling
Works well without a headphone amp
Doesn't let noise escape
Comfortable
Stylish
Works well with iPod

If anyone knows any headphones that fit all or most of these specs, it would be much appreciated.



Answer
I want to say Sennehsier HD25-1 or HD25 SP, ... i'd buy nothing else with a $150-200 budget. I'm thinking Denon AH-D1100 headphones although i'm not sure of they have .. gut thumping bass. I've got the Denon AH-D1001 and the bass is good, but not deep or booming.

I'm looking to DJ headphones (which the HD25-1's are) but comfort and DJ headphones don't really belong in the same sentense. Usually DJ headphones are big and bulky.

In terms of looks, i have got my eye on these Pioneer HDJ-500's.

http://portal.fakeheadphones.com/index.php?topic=813.msg2916#msg2916 - New Pioneer HDJ 500 headphones

The thing with DJ headphones is that they have a higher sensitivty, and so a headphone amp isn't really needed. but if you have one .......

I like my Ultrasone DJ1 headphones, the Equation Audio RP21's are classic.

http://headphonedeals.org/2007/07/10/equation-audio-rp21-review-with-pictures/

Hope that's enought for you to go on?




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment